Backpacking in Mancora
After all that trekking you will need some lounging time to rest and repair your muscles – finish up your Peruvian tour in the seaside surf town of Mancora.
Getting to Mancora from Lima:
The fastest way to reach this surf town is 700 miles north of Lima is to hop on a flight from Lima to Piura (LAN runs 2 daily flights for $225 each way). From Piura is a two hour cab ride to Mancora ($70). Or you can catch a direct bus from Lima to Mancora (14 hours). Cruz del Sur has a bus- cama service to Lima ($37- 48)
Activities in Mancora:
- Surfing and Kite surfing
- Mud baths – Poza de Barro
- These therapeutic mud baths rise to high temperatures and offers powder fine mud that is ideal for giving yourself a mud facial. The mud baths are located in the Fernandez Valley (admission 0.60) These springs can be reached by mototaxi (30 minutes- $9), horseback (2 hours) or trekking (4 hours)
- Trekking - For a chance to explore the dessert, hire a car ($20) and drive up to the Fernandez Valley, past the mud baths until the road ends (1.5 hours). Discover the area and local birdlife until you reach Los Pilares which offers swimming pools ideal for cooling down.
- Rafting - you can experience rafting at Rica Playa.
- Iguana’s offers 2 day c;ass II river rafting trip
- Beaches – check out Las Pocitas beach. Known as Mancora’s most beautiful beach, Las Pocitias has large rocks that form different pools of varying sizes and offers some of the best waves, idea for surfing.
- Spa - there is no better place to enjoy the sheer pleasures of a relaxation than the soft sounds of waves of Mancora.
- Origenes Spa offers a variety of services in a serene environment. Services rates range from $50- 120
Sleeping in Mancora
- Kon Tiki Bungalows (doubles/doubles with shared bathroom and 34 person dorms $16/10/14)
- These clean, sparse rooms offer beach side living for next to nothing. You can wake up and step outside onto your balcony to feel the sand beneath your feet. This hostel offers on site cafeteria, tour/travel desk and 24 hour reception.
- Av. los Incas Nr. 200,
- The Point(dorms are $8)
- This laid back, fun hostel offers panoramic views of the beach, a beach side café perfect for watching the sun set and an outdoor swimming pool. This hostel is a short ride into the centre of town and has its own surf centre that employs energetic surfers looking to catch the perfect wave,
- Right on the beach of playa El Amor
- Hotel CasaBarco(doubles from $70 and up and 4 person bungalows from $160)
- While this hotel doesn’t always get the best reviews for its service, there is no denying that this beautiful hotel is great value for your money
- This cozy, 5 room hotel offers a beautiful setting right on the beach and a clean eternity pool overlooking the ocean.
- Las Pocitas
- Las balsas (low season $30 plus brekafast, high season $50 plus breakfast)
- This beautiful hotel offers budget accommodation a short cab ride or 25 walk from central Mancora
- (73) 25 8064
Eating in Mancora
- Donde Teresa ($7-10)
- This restaurant offers an interesting fusion of Peruvian cuisine with a touch of contemporary flavors. This restaurant is often hailed as the best restaurant in Mancora, serving up some of the tastiest seafood I have every tried and an excellent place to listen to local music as sipping on cocktails.
- Playa las Pocitas, 300 metros Sur Muelle
- Green Eggs and Ham ($4 breakfast)
- This place is a great place to indulge in a delicious breakfast.
- Piura 112, Mancora
- This inexpensive restaurant offers a mix of Peruvian and Western food. Try their Maracuya shrimps, grouper in porro Sauce or for a taste of home try their perfectly bakes pizza.
- Av Piura 344