Tom Yum Soup Recipe
This thai dish is a mix of hot and sour flavours made with stock and fresh ingredients such as lemongrass, shallots and kaffir lime leaves. It is usually served with either prawns, fish or chicken and lots and lots of mushrooms. Adding chills to the broth gives the soup its reddish colouring. A distinguishing feature of any tom yum soup recipe is the generous helping of herbs. The soup is usually topped with a generous topping of cilantro and fresh lime juice.
I received this tum yum soup recipe by the lovely owner of Lanta Thai cooking school, Moon, located on Koh Lanta island. Using fresh local ingredients picked from the garden the food is fresh and the food is not only delicious but as authentic as you will get in Thailand.
Tom Yum Soup Recipe
- 2 stalks of lemongrass cut into small diagonal pieces or smashed.
- Galangal (about the size of a thumb) peel and cut into large pieces (if you can’t find it no worries the soup will still taste great without it)
- 4 Kaffir limes leaves – remove stems and cut into pieces
- 2 Shallots – skin removed and then pounded
- 4 red chilis- cut into vertical slices
- straw/oyster mushrooms
- 1 tomato – cut into slices
- 5 spring onions- cut into slices. If the heads are large cut into halves
- 2 large stalks of coriander – chopped up
- 3 cups of chicken stock
- 2 tbsp of fish sauce
- 2 tbsp of sugar
- 2 tbsp of lime juice
- optional – chili paste/ coconut milk
- Heat up chicken stock on high until stock comes to a boil
- If using chicken add to broth, if using seafood wait until you throw in the mushrooms
- Add garangal, lemongrass, chili, kaffir lime leaves, shallots – let the herbs steam for about 2-3 minutes on boil or wait until you can smell the herbs
- Add mushrooms
- Add seafood
- Pour in sugar, fish sauce
- Add spring onion, tomato and coriander
- Add in lime juice – near the end of preparation or when you are ready to eat
- Add chilli paste for taste or coconut milk if you want to thicken the broth.
This tom yum soup recipe is perfect on a cold or even hot day and is super hearty.